Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Birthday surprise

My birthday is nigh. My present from the boys (all of them) is the iPad I'm writing this on. But tonight, on my birthday eve, I had the best birthday gift. While Tucker and Drew were wrapping up their clean-ups and headed into their pajamas, I had Connor on the floor and was prepping him for bed. I have sat on his floor thousands of times over the years, in essentially the same place, transitioning him to his pajamas. Tonight, for some reason, a teeny lost item decided to turn up right next to me. It came back. The tooth he lost, then I lost!!

For those of you who I have complained to about Connor's teeth, I apologize. For those of you who don't know, here's a quick recap. Connor lost his first 4 teeth on the school bus and they never made it into the house. The fifth tooth was lost at school, and his teacher did get it! There was much rejoicing. But then, when Drew and I prepared to put the tooth under Connor's pillow, it slipped away and got lost in his room. I literally ripped his room apart trying to find it. The next one (6) was lost while I was in NY this summer, was saved for me by my darling husband, and then I promptly and accidentally threw it away when I got home.

It was really beginning to piss me off.

7 was lost on our way to Charlottesville and my sister's wedding. I had ptty much given up at that point. 8 was lost Sunday night, while I was feeding him. He swallowed it.

So to have the one that got away come back? I hugged him to my chest and told him it was the best birthday present. We carefully placed it in a small ziploc bag, and Drew and Tucker helped us put it under Connor's pillow for him. I told Drew that the tooth fairy would take the tooth and put the money in the bag. He thought Connor would get coins, so I made sure that's what he got. And now I have a baby tooth of his to go with the snip of hair from his first haircut. I may not be the sentimental one who keeps the umbilical cord stump or...other parts(??) of my son that have come off (eww) but this I wanted. I never could have put this on my amazon wish list.

No matter what, I think it's going to be a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment