Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Return of Joefish

So when I was young, and my brother was younger, there was a small contingency of people (his friends) who couldn't pronounce his name right and called him "Joefish" for a while instead of Joseph. He eventually shortened to Joe, which then got accidentally re-lengthened to Joemybrother, but that's another story and not one for a blog with updates about my boys.

Last night, I was giving Drew and Tucker a bath - now every time there is a bath to be had it's together. They both truly seem to enjoy sharing the "boyo tub" as Drew calls it. Tucker loves the bath. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES it. It's so entertaining to watch him enjoy himself so thoroughly. So on this particular night, Tucker managed to wiggle-scootch past Drew and ended up down by the spigot. He kept looking at the drain pull cover, which is reflective and just about head-height for him when he's sitting in the tub. Finally, he started to try to bite or suck on the plate cover. Each time he leaned in, I said, "Tucker, no," and he would look at me over his shoulder and stop. I must have said it more than five times. Suddenly Drew chimed in, "Tucker Joefish, stop! Don't do that!"

I had to sit back on my heels and stifle combined laughter. Tucker's middle name is not Joefish, or even Joseph. It's Smith. Drew's middle name is Joseph, but as far as he's concerned, it's the word that gets used when he's in trouble. Hence his lecturing tone and admonishing attitude towards poor little Tucker! I am not sure why he mispronounced it. He does hear "Andrew Joseph" with fair frequency.

Anyway, it was great, and I laughed a lot about it today. Lee didn't get it at all. But he never had a Joefish, or a Joemybrother, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment